The Art of the App Intensive
iPhone Application Development - $2,800
Over 500,000 apps and growing, the world of iPhone Application development is completely changing both the creative and commercial landscape. Manhattan Edit Workshop’s Art of the App puts the power of imagination in your hands.
This five-day workshop taught by introduces students to writing iPhone applications in the XCode Integrated Development Environment (IDE), using the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK).
This course is for those who wish to learn how to program with Objective-C and build basic iPhone applications using XCode. Students with completed projects will distribute their applications through the iTunes App Store at the end of the course.
What You Will Learn:
- How to develop Objective-C and iPhone/iPad programs in the XCode IDE
- How to design graphical user interfaces (GUI) with Interface Builder
- How to build basic applications using the iPhone SDK
- How to successfully implement the User Interface Guidelines as defined by Apple
- How to handle user input and storing data
- How to create view- and table-based apps
- How to finalize and upload your app to the iTunes Store.
All students should have either attended Manhattan Edit Workshop's Art of Programming workshop or have the following prerequisite knowledge prior to attending the course:
Students must provide their own computer, as they will be taking their work with them following the class.
Familiarity with object-oriented programming languages and experience with an integrated development environment (IDE).
Completed the application process for the iPhone Developer Program. This is necessary to sign and distribute applications. The application can be started at http://developer.apple.com
Note: The application fee for the iPhone Developer Program is $99 (this is a separate fee).
Day 1 - Objective-C Fundamentals
- Introduction to Objective C and the XCode IDE
- Define classes and methods
- Memory management and Reference counting (allocating and de-allocating)
- Messaging and message forwarding
- Dynamic typing and dynamic binding
- Inheritance and Introspection
- Interface, Implementation, and Program sections
Day 2 - Objective-C Fundamentals and iPhone OS Fundamentals
- Objective-C utility classes (numbers, dates, arrays, dictionaries, files, etc).
- Object Lifecycle and Garbage Collection
- Categories and Protocols
- Preprocessor Directives and Enumeration
- Cocoa Foundation Framework
- Introduction to iPhone OS, Cocoa Touch, and Interface Builder
- Introduction to View-Based Apps
- Cocoa Touch Framework
- Cocoa Touch Design Patterns (Delegation, MVC, Target-Action)
Day 3 - iPhone OS Fundamentals
- Anatomy of an Application
- File's Owner and First Responder
- Outlets and IBOutlet
- Connecting outlets and actions
- Memory management with Cocoa Touch
- In-depth View-Based Apps
Day 4 - iPhone OS Development
- App Conceptualization and Design
- App Lifecycle
- iPhone App Categories, Design Considerations, and Product Definition Statements
- Apple Human User Interface Guidelines
- Table Views
Day 5 - iPhone OS Development
- Coding, Concepts, and Deployment
- Persistent data
- Tab Bars and Pickers
- Multi-View Apps
- Application Settings
- Publishing to the iTunes Store
This one-week intensive is Monday - Friday.
Please click here to inquire about upcoming dates or custom classes.
Certification cost: NA